Bellaire HS Music Department has advanced as a collective in the 2013 Grammy Signature School Awards program. We are now a Semi-Finalist for this National Award, and Mr. Grigassy is leading the application team through this next step. Bravo to Brown, Grigassy, Hardy, McIntyre, Montalvo, Moore, & Solberg for this great recognition. We’ll keep you posted as they progress.
Keep swimming! Coach Wingenroth and staff are off to a strong start, once again, as both swim teams continue to dominate. I believe that the boys are undefeated in district competition (if not overall). Boys and girls varsity basketball teams are ranked highly in the Greater Houston Area and they both won the respective Aldine & Houston ISD tournaments. Congrats to Coach Glover and Coach Kramer (and their staffs) for the great early success.
The HISD Bond passed back in November and Bellaire High School will be receiving a brand new building. That is what we know. The unknowns at this time are many with the most popular (?) being that we do not know when the first shovel will hit the dirt. I suspect to learn more in the next several weeks including where in the “pipeline” we will land. I also hope to learn in the next few months what kind of possible plans are being considered with how, logistically, the new facility will be constructed. Stay tuned.
- It is progress report time. While we continue to distribute these in an isolated manner, it is even more important that you meet all deadlines in terms of communicating progress this 3rd cycle. Secondary Guidelines require communication to parents if a student is in danger of failing the six weeks. Normally this is at the progress report time so please be mindful of that requirement. Additionally, progress reports are a point whereby a student may regain UIL eligibility if they are passing all classes (they can only lose eligibility at report card time.
- It is EOC time for many of our 9th & 10th graders. Mrs. Shoulders and her team are feverishly testing kids all this week and next. As a reminder, any student can retake the EOC – even if they passed with flying colors the first time. This December retesting is new to all High Schools and we’re surely learning as we go here. The timing – right before final exams – could not be worse. I thank you in advance for being flexible and patient with these students as they balance the testing with all of their other class responsibilities. The kids didn’t choose these test dates – adults did.
- Final Exam schedule has been approved and you should have received a copy in your box. The two-sided document should be able to answer your questions regarding days/times for exams, as well as info on reporting grades and such. Winter Break always goes a lot smoother when we have been deliberate in closing out the fall semester. Let us know what questions you might have.
- Swim team takes on Ft Bend schools (Dulles, Elkins, & Kempner) out at the Don Cook Natatorium. Let’s see those winning ways continue.
- The Piano concert is Tuesday (12/4) in the auditorium at 7:00pm.
- A Class of 2014 fundraiser will occur at Magpies (up S Rice here in Bellaire) from 6:00-8:00pm. Great chance to support BHS and do a bit of shopping.
- SDMC meeting this Thursday at 3:45pm in Rm 141.
- Start off the morning this Friday in style with First Friday in the library. See you there J
- The HISD Invitational Swim Meet will be Friday at Lamar HS. Good luck Cardinals!
- The new Bellaire website will launch Monday, December 10th. I got a glimpse today and it looks terrific. How we communicate about the wonderful happenings within our walls is important. We would be naïve to simply dismiss the work and energy that must go in to these types of efforts.
- The 2012 Football banquet will be hosted Monday night at 6:00pm in the MPR. Great chance to celebrate all three levels of teams as they had another playoff run.
- Orchestra & Choir host their annual Winter Concert Tuesday night (12/11) at 7:00pm in the Auditorium. I know I won’t miss it as I hear it’s a treat.
- French National Honor Society Induction will be conducted at 5:00pm Wed (12/12) in the MPR.
- Wednesday the 12th brings the Band concert in the auditorium with first notes at 6:30pm. Yet another chance to hear our fine arts department on display.
- Bellaire HS is proud to attend the Touchdown Club of Houston annual Player of the Year Award banquet Wednesday (12/12) at the JW Marriott. Devin Lauderdale is a finalist for Offensive Player of the Year Honors.
- Tickets still available for the Japanese Luncheon in the MPR – Friday December 14.
- We round out the bravo performances Friday (12/14) as eMotion hosts their annual concert in the auditorium. This high-energy show brings a full house so be sure to have it (and all these others) on your calendar for the week. Busy indeed.
- Luckily the last week is almost exclusively for fall final exams (12/18-21). Phew!
- Friday, December 21, at the Braeburn Country Club you have the chance to enjoy each other’s company at our Winter Holiday Party.
- Finally – we have our graduation date, time & location. Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 1:00pm inside the Reliant Center.
Thank you. Two words that can mean so much and that we often overlook. This past week was tough emotionally for so many of us (students, faculty, staff, families, & community). Yet Bellaire came together and took care of each other. Whether it was with a simple smile, a pleasant head tilt and nod, or an actual set of arms hugging someone in need. Our kids were protected (as much as we can nowadays) and they felt sheltered here on campus. For some these are the safest hours of the day. For others they are the toughest as so many pulls and tugs come their way. And for a few more their days at Bellaire are the absolute best. Wherever their experiences take them it is likely that, like many adults, they are not always able to find the right words. It’s not a lack of effort or desire. Sometimes it’s just hard. At the risk of forgetting many of you that did so much for so many so quietly, I won’t try and recognize everyone. Yet at the same time, I do need to thank Charles, Paige, Trish, Lourdes, Vyrlyn, Alan, Amelia, Susan and Sharon. This team that lives inside the counselor suite balanced ALL campus needs last week. They did it with flexibility and sensitivity. We are lucky to have them. Thank you.